Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 2015 01:00:30 -0400
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Base gpart vs. sysutils/gpart

> So I guess we're talking about this tool then (quoting from http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/gpart):
>
>      A port of a tool which tries to guess the primary partition
>      table of a PC-type hard disk [...]
>
>      WWW: http://brzitwa.de/mb/gpart/index.html (outdated)
>
> That's completely different from what FreeBSD's own gpart does.
> Just because two tools happen to share the same name doesn't
> necessarily mean that they'll also do the same thing.

I had to triple check this to confirm, but you're right. I swear up and
down I've used versions of linux that had the gpart from FreeBSD, but
apparently Gparted Live isn't one of them (assuming they even exist).
When I wrote those emails, I had quickly booted a VM off Gparted and
double checked that there was a gpart command that printed out a bunch
of disk-related stuff (while not really paying attention to exactly what
the output was because I thought I already knew) and then quickly
glanced at [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/gpart] to cross check it was
the same version, because I assumed that the wikipedia page on gpart
would refer to the modern FreeBSD version everybody uses and not the
ancient linux one. A side effect of wikipedia's constant warning boxes
at the top of every page is that I subconsciously skip over them
completely, and therefore missed the line above it.

One of the big problems with being wrong is that it feels an awful lot
like when you're right.