Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:47:18 -0300
From:      AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wade Klaver <wadeklaver@itiva.com>
Subject:   Re: On the trail of a dummynet/bridge/ipfw bug.

On Thursday 13 March 2008 18:06:40 Wade Klaver wrote:
> OK, here's something weird then.  ipfw pipe show | wc -l has reported
> higher numbers:
> [root@ibm3550b ~]# ipfw pipe show | wc -l
>     3453
> This was reported after the bridge "died" attempting 2600 simultaneous
> connections... it had been running at 2400 before I added 200 more.
> Now, immediately after the above crash, I do a /etc/rc.d/netif restart,
> and then:
> [root@ibm3550b ~]# ipfw pipe show | wc -l
>     3900
> Then as long as I add additional connections very slowly, I can manage
> to get more established until it dies at 2800 with:
> [root@ibm3550b ~]# ipfw pipe show | wc -l
>     4160
> At this point I am only using these numbers as a general indication of
> pipe activity as the output is not 1 pipe per line.  In fact there is
> more often than not two lines per pipe.  However, the end problem
> remains the same.  After a point, the bridge doesn't get saturated, it
> crashes and requires that the network be restarted before continuing.
> The fact that it is necessary only to restart the network and not to
> flush ipfw's pipes (which has no effect without a network restart)
> perhaps suggests the problem lies in a different subsystem?  The
> broadcom driver perhaps?

hard to say because you do not tell so very much about your machine, it mig=
ht=20
be too weak for so many pipes (mem or cpu?), I do not know your setup or th=
e=20
nics you use
you say it crash but can restart the network? probably you have some error =
in=20
your script or since you run bridge some mac issue?

=2D-=20
Participe no BAIXO ASSINADO SCM:
http://info.matik.com.br
=2D-
Atenciosamente, J.M.
Respons=E1vel Plant=E3o Site Support Matik
Infomatik Internet Technology
(18)3551.8155 =A0(18)8112.7007