Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:38:31 -0700
From:      "Matt Harrington" <matt@ucsd.EDU>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   can't add +::::::::: to passwd file

I'm trying to set up FreeBSD 4.1 as a NIS client.  "ypcat passwd" works fine
and I can "su" to users.  I can't get the passwd file to pull in NIS
accounts though.

I've read the manpage for passwd(5) and I read the handbook as well.  I
added "+:::::::::" with vipw but /etc/passwd still has "+:*:::::" in it.
That is to say, the password field is locked and I can't log in with NIS
accounts.

Any ideas?

---Matt