Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:13:56 -0600
From:      Jim King <king@sstar.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pnp and AWE64

--=====================_766315773==_

At 04:32 PM 11/12/1999 -0800, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jim King wrote:
>
> > I just picked up an AWE64 to use until the Vortex2 driver is working.  The
> > card is detected in Win98, but unfortunately the new PnP code in -current
> > (cvsup'ed this evening) doesn't seem to find this card at all.  Nothing
> > shows up about it in dmesg; pnpinfo shows my ISA PnP modem, but nothing at
> > all about the AWE64.
>
>FWIW it detects my AWE64 just fine (and yes you must set the PnP OS bit to
>no).  This is with or without the PNPBIOS option int he kernel.  It
>doesn't seem to detect the integrated Yamaha sound bits though (with the
>PNPBIOS bit).
>
>pcm1: <Creative AWE64 PnP> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq
>5 drq 1,5 on isa0
>
>How about posting your kernel config file?

Attached, in all it's glory.

The relevant lines seem to be:
controller pnp0
device pcm0
options PNPBIOS

The PNPBIOS line doesn't make a difference for the AWE64 (although it does
make some difference - all the motherboard resources show up as unknowns
with it enabled).

--=====================_766315773==_

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.196 1999/10/22 04:36:52 n_hibma Exp $

machine         i386
#cpu            I386_CPU
#cpu            I486_CPU
#cpu            I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           RASP
maxusers        64

#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

#options        MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MFS_ROOT                #MFS usable as root device, "MFS" req'ed
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660" req'ed
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000 #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) syscall trace support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores

options         SOFTUPDATES

options         PNPBIOS

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

controller      isa0
controller      pnp0                    # PnP support for ISA
#controller     eisa0
controller      pci0

# Floppy drives
controller      fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
#disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

# IDE controller and disks
controller      wdc0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
#disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

# ATAPI devices on wdc?
device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM
device          wfd0            #IDE Floppy (e.g. LS-120)
device          wst0            #IDE Tape (e.g. Travan)

# SCSI Controllers
# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
controller      ncr0            # NCR/Symbios Logic
#controller     ahb0            # EISA AHA1742 family
controller      ahc0            # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
#controller     amd0            # AMD 53C974 (Teckram DC-390(T))
#controller     isp0            # Qlogic family
#controller     dpt0            # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for options!

#controller     adv0    at isa? port ? irq ?
#controller     adw0
#controller     bt0     at isa? port ? irq ?
#controller     aha0    at isa? port ? irq ?

# SCSI peripherals
# Only one of each of these is needed, they are dynamically allocated.
controller      scbus0          # SCSI bus (required)
device          da0             # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa0             # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd0             # CD
device          pass0           # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# Proprietary or custom CD-ROM Interfaces
#device         wt0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 drq 1
#device         mcd0    at isa? port 0x300 irq 10
#device         matcd0  at isa? port 0x230
#device         scd0    at isa? port 0x230

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
controller      atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa? port ? conflicts

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa?

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa?
#options        XSERVER                 # support for X server
#options        FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options        PCVT_SCANSET=2          # IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x31 # Advanced Power Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#controller     card0
#device         pcic0   at isa?
#device         pcic1   at isa?

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
#device         sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
#device         sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
#device         sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 irq 7
controller      ppbus0          # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt0            # Printer
device          plip0           # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi0            # Parallel port interface device
#controller     vpo0            # Requires scbus and da0

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
#device         ax0             # ASIX AX88140A
device          de0             # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device          fxp0            # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
#device         pn0             # Lite-On 82c168/82c169 (``PNIC'')
#device         tx0             # SMC 9432TX (83c170 ``EPIC'')
#device         vx0             # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
controller      miibus0         # MII bus support
#device         al0             # ADMtek AL981/AN985 (``Comet''/``Centaur'')
#device         dm0             # Davicom DM9100/DM9102
#device         mx0             # Macronix 98713/98715/98725 (``PMAC'')
#device         rl0             # RealTek 8129/8139
#device         sf0             # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
#device         sis0            # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
#device         ste0            # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
#device         tl0             # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
#device         vr0             # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
#device         wb0             # Winbond W89C840F
device          xl0             # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
# The probe order of these is presently determined by i386/isa/isa_compat.c.
#device         ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
#device         ie0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
#device         ep0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10
#device         ex0     at isa? port? irq?
#device         fe0     at isa? port 0x300 irq ?
#device         le0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
#device         lnc0    at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0
#device         cs0     at isa? port 0x300 irq ?
# requires PCCARD (PCMCIA) support to be activated
#device         xe0     at isa? port? irq ?

# PCCARD NIC drivers.
# ze and zp take over the pcic and cannot coexist with generic pccard
# support, nor the ed and ep drivers they replace.
#device         ze0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
#device         zp0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   sl      1       # Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf     4       #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
controller      uhci0           # UHCI PCI->USB interface
#controller     ohci0           # OHCI PCI->USB interface
controller      usb0            # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen0           # Generic
device          uhid0           # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd0           # Keyboard
device          ulpt0           # Printer
controller      umass0          # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da0
device          ums0            # Mouse

# sound
device          pcm0