Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:11:11 -0700
From:      "Jason S. Anderson" <jason.anderson@windriver.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Spam from Windriver - how should I react?

Hi Bill (et al),
    I just thought I would comment briefly on some of your concerns, given
that I work with Pauline here at Wind River and know some of the details of
the intention of the message you received. As we know from previous
discussions, part of the BSDi acquisition included FreeBSDMall including
its existing customer base and subscriptions which WRS has a responsibility
to service and support (both now and long-term). We've been working hard to
integrate the two companies and to transition shipping/order fulfillment
functions, but as with most integrations this is not a straightforward affair.
    Over the past couple of weeks we've received several phone calls from
customers looking for status information about their orders. We knew there
was a need to communicate with the FreeBSDMall customers, but we didn't
want to do it in a way that would be interpreted as spamming or otherwise
abusing the freebsd-* mailing lists...hence the FreeBSDMall customer list.
    Please believe me when I say that no offense or spamming was intended;
we simply felt a need to let our customers know that there were was this
acquisition change at FreeBSDMall which may have caused a temporary
disruption to some shipments. It shouldn't be construed as the beginning of
a trend, or an effort to distribute advertising.
    Feel free to use the ordertracking@windriver.com address if you wish to
be removed from the customer list; I'm sure the support team would be happy
to assist. Also, there are many people at Wind (such as myself) who are
trying to keep up with the mailing lists to better understand how we can
work together, so you can also use these forums if there are things of
broader interest. I'm happy to answer other questions as well.

Best regards,
-Jason