Date:      Mon, 28 May 2007 12:03:03 +1000
From:      Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Christopher Prance <christopher.prance@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Xorg 7.2.0 - mergebase.sh problems

> On 27/05/07, Christopher Prance <christopher.prance@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought I was so close, nope not yet.  I finally got my server upgraded
> > with no problem.  Well a few minor setbacks, but I got it done.  Of course
> > it won't run on my Sony 19" monitor which I have yet to figure out, but wil
> > in due time, but my server is not of importance, because I don't run X on
> > it, it is just a webserver for now. My Thinkpad is a different story, I am
> > trying to move away from my Windows laptop and rely on only FreeBSD so I
> > would really like to get X up and running again.  The file I'm attaching is
> > a script of the mergebase.sh tool. It listed several files that exist in
> > both /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 and it will not continue until I move or
> > remove them. I don't know which ones to remove and which ones to just move.
> > Not too mention I did it by hand on my server, because there was not that
> > many.  So any help here would be appreciated.  Is there are way I could mak
> > a script to move all these files for me? Which I'm sure there is but my
> > scripting skills are beginners at best. :(   Sorry for the long post, just
> > had to get it out.  Thanks again ahead of time!
> >
> > Christopher Prance
> >

> >From your attachment, in part:
> . . .
> CONFLICTING FILES:
> ./bin/appres
> ./bin/assistant
> ./bin/atobm
> ./bin/bdftopcf
> ./bin/bdftruncate
> ./bin/beforelight
> ./bin/bitmap
> ./bin/bmtoa
> ./bin/cxpm
> ./bin/designer
> ./bin/dga
> . . .
>
> % wc -l xorg-update
>     3421 xorg-update
>
> It looks like most, if not all, of your old xorg install
> is still under /etc/X11R6, which should not be if
> you followed /usr/ports/UPDATING.  It may be safe
> to delete if xorg 7.2 was otherwise properly installed
> in /usr/local, though I suspect some (perhaps very
> long list of) things might have to be recompiled (again!).

	It can still be there even if you followed /usr/ports/UPDATING

	I followed UPDATING.  xorg-clients was still there post
	"portupgrade -a".  portupgrade bombed out on me but you
	will note that the xorg meta port did update.  This was
	with portupgrade-devel and after a clean "portupgrade -Rf
	libXft".

	Note also this was before "cd /usr/ports && make index"
	was added to UPDATING.  Mind you I did run "make index"
	prior to the entire upgrade process.  I've found the indexs
	return by fetchindex to cause problems in the past so I
	just rebuild them even it they do take some time on my older
	boxes.

** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! audio/nas (nas-1.8)   (X libraries missing)
        ! sysutils/xbatt (xbatt-1.2.1)  (X libraries missing)
        * x11-toolkits/qt33 (qt-3.3.8_2)
        * security/qca-tls (qca-tls-1.0_1)
        * devel/qca (qca-1.0)
        * net/kphone (kphone-4.2)
        * net-im/psi (psi-0.10)
        ! mail/thunderbird (thunderbird-2.0.0.0)        (missing header)
        * devel/tmake (tmake-1.7_2)
        * devel/doxygen (doxygen-1.5.1)

	Mark
--