Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2016 13:22:08 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        Kris Moore <kris@ixsystems.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SPAM] Issue booting RPI2 B (v1.2) [V1.2 is BVM2837 and quad-core Cortex-A53 based]

On 2016-Oct-22, at 1:04 PM, Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> =
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 03:59:38PM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 10/20/2016 15:25, Mark Millard wrote:
>>> On 2016-Oct-20, at 12:08 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> =
wrote:
>>>=20
Model
https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2 =
says:
which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The Raspberry Pi 2 =
Model B v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM =
Cortex-A53 processor. It is necessary to update to the latest (October =
2016) version of the device firmware and Linux kernel to allow the board =
to boot up properly.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-17791 agrees in its =
>>>=20
UK by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
BCM2837 SoC (same as the Pi 3) Quad Core ARMv8 processor running at 900 =
MHz just like the original Pi 2. The rest of the board is identical to =
the original, featuring a VideoCore IV GPU, 1 Gigabyte of RAM, 4 USB =
ports, and 40 GPIO pins for expansion.=20
BCM2836 SoC, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The =
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a =
quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor. It is necessary to update to the =
latest (October 2016) version of the device firmware and Linux kernel to =
allow the board to boot up properly
Separately, Software cane be found here)
>>> I know that =
http://ameridroid.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-1gb-ram 's old =
page for V1.1 has said "DISCONTINUED" for some time.
>>>=20
>>> =3D=3D=3D
>>> Mark Millard
>>> markmi at dsl-only.net
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Oh, that's a bummer. I was afraid of that, since the 2's are getting
>> harder to find now. I would imagine its not worth looking too hard at
>> this, since support for the Pi 3 is starting to land ;)
>=20
> WTF - why can't they use a different name for something completely
> different.
> This isn't just a PCB version change, especially not a change in a
> minor number.
> In other words I need to keep my thumb on the Pi 2s I recently got,
> since those are the old ones.
> Got mine just 2 months ago directly from RS, maybe they still have a
> stock on the previos Pi 2.
>=20
> --=20
> B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de
> Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.

The modern versions of the official operating system supports both V1.1 =
and V1.2 of the board, allowing existing programs to continue to work on =
newer boards. (At least that is my understanding.)

It is a different SOC but with the new one configured for use for =
extreme compatibility with the old one from what I can tell. (User space =
code, anyway, including using official interfaces to things on the =
board.) They do not claim to support 64 bit at all: just Cortex-A7 =
compatibility.

For their primary target customers it is not "completely different".

That other operating systems might choose to go in a different direction =
is not a consideration for them: what they support is very compatible =
even though the hardware does not require such configuration.

(I'd have preferred RPI2C vs. RPI2B for naming at least. But I'm not =
using the official materials generally so the issue is more noticable.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net