Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:02:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie2000@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Horan <sjhfbsd@horan.net.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI issues after upgrade from 4.5-RELEASE to 4.7-STABLE

--- Steve Horan <sjhfbsd@horan.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cvsup'd a 4.5-RELEASE machine yesterday to latest
> -STABLE sources
> and made world & new kernel.
>
> The new (GENERIC) kernel no longer detects the SCSI
> disk. It detects
> the sym0 SCSI controller fine, but no disk.
>
> Booting with the old 4.5-RELEASE kernel finds it
> fine.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior/know a fix?
>
> I don't have physical access to the machine, but
> here's the info I can
> pull from dmesg (using 4.5-RELEASE kernel) etc:
>
> sym0: <875> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem
> 0xe0080000-0xe0080fff,0xe0100000-0xe01000ff irq 11
> at device 12.0 on
> pci1
> sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
>
> da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <COMPAQ WDE4360W 1.52> Fixed Direct Access
> SCSI-2 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15,
> 16bit), Tagged
> Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4094MB (8386000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T
> 522C)

I have a Western Digital ULTRA-WIDE disk that has
problems on -STABLE.  Turns out the disk does not
issue a "ignore wide residual" message after
transferring inquiry data during FreeBSD's CAM
probing.  As a result, CAM thinks there's an error and
refuses to attach to the disk.

I wonder if your Compaq disk is the same way.  I
noticed that it also is a wide drive (16-bit).

If you are able to get to the BIOS of the SCSI
controller and there's an available option, try
setting the drive to 8-bit on the SCSI controller.
Then see if -STABLE will talk to it.

I'm _STILL_ running my Western Digital in NARROW mode.
 I don't know if anyone will fix the ODD length
inquiry data request that CAM is issuing.  But,
evidently, there are other possible fixes.

Please search freebsd-scsi for my messages about the
Western Digital.

Good luck,

Chuck McCrobie

mccrobie2000@yahoo.com