Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:23:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *** Real Action Item: SPECweb

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I have spoken to several of my lower level sal> Once we have the system spec'd, I have no doubt I can get hardware, because it's
> > very obvious that this will be an enormous bonanza for all major corporate
> > sponsors.
>
>  - Dual 400MHz PII's (I think this will finally pull ahead of the 1M
>    cache 233MHz P6'en).

I really doubt that dual processors will give you any advantage even if
you were willing to use current.  I'm not up on the current state of
FreeBSD SMP, but if it isn't beyond the level of a single spin lock on
kernel code, you won't win and you could even lose by going SMP.  You can
actually get worse performance when using SMP on stable Linux kernels than
not using it.

>  - A BX-based board with as much memory as the PII's will cache.
>  - All of the OS, and if possible all of the web data in MFS.  This may
>    involve the biggest, nastiest PicoBSD config you can imagine.

The size of the SPECweb dataset actually changes with the "expected"
benchmark results.  You are probably looking at... 500-750 megs or so.

I don't think you can use MFS, there are certain restrictions on what you
can and can't do when reporting SPECweb numbers.

>  - If it won't all work in an MFS, a DPT controller and a small farm of
>    10000rpm fibrechannel disks.  Otherwise, the disk is irrelevant.
>  - No swap.

No, you want swap especially if using Apache (because of all the COW
pages).  It won't be "really" used, but you still need it.