Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:56:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for victims, err, uh, 'volunteers'

> Hmm... I guess I was confusing this with the S.M.A.R.T. stuff that is
> supposed to give you a kind of pre-emptive warning that bad things are
> going to happen (or have happened, rather... i.e. the drive starts
> reallocating a bunch of blocks or senses some other kind of internal
> problem).

You should be able to get that via camcontrol right now for SCSI disks. If
not, bug Ken.

>  Will what you've done at least allow the nifty "I'm OK" LED
> to light up on the hot-swap disk tray like it does on the NT boxen?
> *duck* :-)

Well, following the lead of Unix as it has been, I've provided the tools- at
least for SES/SAF-TE to do this.

Because there's SMART and DTMF and LM78 and i4b busses all over the map, I
haven't tackled the task of trying to unify this- nor should I in all
probability- it's not my strength.

But I waited basically a year for NetBSD/FreeBSD folks to move on this, so
rather than waiting any longer I put in what I have 'coz *I* can use it.

> On a similar note, I guess, how exactly _would_ you query a drive
> about its SMART status in FreeBSD?  It would be neat to have the
> status LEDs on the drive trays reflect the health of the drive.  If I
> read your description of the SAF-TE/SES stuff right, that is what
> would be used to twiddle the LED off/on.

Yes. There are several ways this can work, but the basic notion here is that
the SES driver is a passive agent whose job it is to package stuff inbound and
outbound.

You have to have a user agent that monitors, periodically, for events. I did
not, nor do I believe it's wise, make the SES driver do it's own polling.

The user agent can notice events, and possibly respond to them (e.g., enabling
an alarm if a power supply is detected bad). It's also possible that the agent
can do correlative disk logging and set an enclosure's slot LED appropriately
for a disk that has gone bad. This is a very hard problem to do without a lot
of help from config files because physical topology is not incomplete.

-matt