Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 23:17:37 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Malcolm Newton <mnewton@mbm.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem settings using chat

Malcolm Newton scribbled this message on Mar 27:
> I need to have a cron job ensure that the modem is set to s0=1 (Auto Answer)
> for an uucp dialup connection. Once in a while the modem loses the setting
> and
> then (obviously won't answer)
> I am trying
> chat  -f chat.script </dev/cuaa1 >/dev/cuaa1
> with chat script set to
> AT s0=1

might try changing it to:
"" ATs0=1

chat uses an expect/send pair... first it expects "" which is nothing..
then it sends ATS0=1...

> and it doesn't seem to work
>
> any one got any ideas (preferably better ones that work! )

you should probably also try to lock the modem using a uucp lock file
so that you don't inject ATS0=1 while there is a uucp transfer in
progress...

I've never worked with uucp, so don't ask for help from me on that end
of things...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for