Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:41:24 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        hf@Melog.DE (Hauke Fath)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with callback setup

From the keyboard of Hauke Fath:

> I wasn't referring to bugs here. From what little understanding of the
> syslog data I have, isdnd's state machine detected an illegal state, and,
> instead of cleaning up and starting from scratch, decided to quit. Thus,
> you may lose connectivity permanently because of a failure that was only
> temporary. Can you say "DOS"?
>
> Now that I know about the problem I could easily put a wrapper around isdnd
> and restart it when it dies. But there may be situations when quitting is
> the only sensible thing to do (imagine looping on dial-out and the
> resulting costs...) which only the daemon itself can detect and deal with
> reasonably.

This is very true. And it applies not only to isdnd but also to the complete
passive stack (see also i4b's TODO file).

Currently, given i4b's robustness (at least in my environments) there is
only little incentive (in contrast to the time and work required to code
this) for me to implement illegal state recovery; YMMV and i for shure
won't pipe illegal state recovery diffs from someone else to /dev/null ;-))

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77