Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:52:31 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>, peter@spinner.dialix.com.au, ady@warp.starnets.ro, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need advice for SMP production server

Hi,

> > actually I'm running a gigabyte with 166's clocked at 200, and a pr440fx
> > with 200's clocked at 200.  the pr440fx used to run at 233, but after
> > 1 set of code changes a couple months back I had to go back to 200 to
> > maintain reliability.
>
> What dimensions do your heatsinks have ??? As I said, I was unable
> to boot at 200 MHz. I have a fan on top of the heatsink and a fan
> is blowing over the CPU's (located in front of the ATX power supply).

about same size as the chip.  On the 166 -> 200 I put a nice layer
of heat compound.  the 200 -> 200 came assembled, I doubt they used
compound...  Looks like same brand on both.  Next time I powerdown
I'll try to remember to read the label.  I have both in an enclosed
rack, with a dryer hose running from window air-conditioner to the
bottom of the rack.  Temp sensors in rack typically show (farenheight):

 top:		80
 middle:	78
 bottom:	72

I've never seen the top get higher than 84.  This rack has 5 systems
running 7/24, external disks, tapes, modems, etc.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by