Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:57:54 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: migrating 2.1.7 -> 2.2: simple or hairy?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > We've got a number of boxes running 2.1.7 and want to migrate to 2.2;
> > is it easy or hard?
>
> It depends on how many short-cuts you try to take. :-)
>
> Seriously, until there are better transition tools available which
> radically compare checksum information and try to tell you exactly
> what was added and what was deleted twixt the two releases (and that's
> all part of my next project), the most dependable upgrade path is to
> back up user files or make sure they're always kept on OS-neutral
> partitions (so you can simply mount rather than newfs those
> filesystems next time around - I do this all the time) and do a
> complete reinstallation.
>
> I know it sounds painful, but once you get the procedure down to a
> science it's really not that bad, and the benefits are that you're
> *sure* you haven't got old-library pollution or out-of-date /etc files
> or any of the other 101 weird behavior quirks that an update-by-source
> (or even update-by-upgrade) machine can exhibit.  Look at it as a
> little extra pain up-front in exchange for avoiding it at later, less
> convenient times. :-)

>                                                 Jordan

One thing I do here is let "ls -lt | more" be my friend. Looking at
/etc, you can see all the files that have been modified after the
system was installed, like sysconfig and services, etc. I save these
out to a "safe" place so that I can at least reconstruct the system.
I run diffs on the new and old file versions after the new version is
installed. If I see only changes I made, I just copy the old file
back. If I see it's a new version of the file, then at least I have
a guide to modify the new version to do the same job as the old.

BTW, it would be a nice addition to "locate" to allow it to search
for files later than the install date in directories like
/etc and /bin or /sbin.

(lots of stuff deleted)

> > Any other pointers, like maybe building in a separate /usr/src-new
> > tree?
> >
> > Thanks.

-Jim Durham