Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:51:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall sd0 vs sd1 bug

Hi,

   I beleive I've run into a rather nasty (and very annoying) bug
in sysinstall. From a running system (on sd0), I enter sysinstall
to do a system installation onto sd1 which is an already
partitioned Jaz drive. (ie: an old SNAP which I can boot from).

   1. Go to custom.
   2. Enter partition (choose sd1) and 'q'
   3. Enter label and mount pre-existing slices
          Mount /     Newfs=y
                swap  (not really mounted, but here)
                /var  Newfs=y
                /usr  Newfs=y
          and 'q'

   4. Select distributions (All) and 'exit'
   5. Select Media (NFS, multi-user & network already operational)
   6. Commit.

   And the fun begins.

   The newfs process never executes (or it's failing very
quickly with no error msgs). It then proceeds to download and
install the system. Unfortunately, it puts them on sd0 instead
of sd1.

   I did this twice, just to make sure I didn't do something
wrong, and because I do so much enjoy restoring my system.. :-)
(reconfig'ing since it does leave a bootable system on sd0).

   If I boot from the boot disk, everything works correctly.

   I'm using 3.0-971209-SNAP (running on the machine) and installing
3.0-971209-SNAP onto the Jaz disk. ie: no possible mis-matches.

   Any clues? ideas? Comments? I haven't looked at sysinstall closely
yet.. Does it contain debugging hooks I can use to help identify
the problem? (I did notice wizard mode, that's kind of slick.. :-)

Thanks,
John

--
jwd@unx.sas.com       (w) John W. De Boskey          (919) 677-8000 x6915