Date:      Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:08:20 -0400
From:      Yuval Levy <yuval_levy@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystems not properly unmounted [OT]

Matthias Buelow wrote:

>I don't understand this "we need to compete with Windows on the desktop"
>thing. I've never considered Windows to be particularly useful as a
>desktop environment, why should the Unix systems compete with it?

You don't need to compete with Windows. You want to compete against
yourself, and improve your own results to become even better. Usability
is a count on which FreeBSD has weaknesses, especially in the eye of the
large segment of users who value a GUI, i.e. those coming from the
Windows world.

For as much as I'd like to get rid of Windows on the desktop, I still
find myself spending 80% of my time with it... even now, although I am
using Thunderbird, available on many OS. The reason is that there is
often this one or two application that drive the decision, in this case
<http://www.ptgui.com>; which is not available under other platforms
(yes, there are alternatives but I have not had time to look into them
yet) and Adobe Photoshop, which I could run on a Mac OSX, but I'd have
to spend money on overpriced hardware I do not want.

>[And btw., please let's move this discussion to -advocacy, since it
>doesn't really belong on this list.]

Agree with you, the FreeBSD vs. Windows belongs in advocacy. In my
opinion the original topic of the thread still belongs where it was started.

Yuv