Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 12:54:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Derek Laufenberg x7-4534 <laufen@sol.med.ge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org, stratton@med.ge.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI card recomendation needed

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Derek Laufenberg x7-4534 wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I tried to put FreeBSD on a friends machine lastnight and I ran
> into a bit of a snag.  His machine is 100% scsi, no IDE system
> at all.  His scsi card is a Q-Logic card which is not supported
> as far as I can tell.  He is willing to put a new card in it.
> What should he buy?
>
> Any recommendations for :
>
> 	ISA:  ???
> 	VLB:  ???
> 	PCI:  ???
>      PCMCIA:  ???       (for my laptop  :) )

Hmm, I thought the Qlogic was a Adaptec clone, or maybe it can be
configured to be a Adaptec clone.

FWIW, though, here are my recommendations:  They're basically simple:
Adaptec.  For the ISA, get the 1542.  For VLB, get the 2842 (i think
that's the number).  For PCI, either get a motherboard, or a card, with
the NCR 53<something or other> chipset, this is the most widest supported
chip where PCI drivers are concerned.  As for PCMCIA, I'm not entirely
sure, though I'd bet that Adaptec makes a PCI card that can work with
existing Adaptec drivers.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **