Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:11:41 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "marco.borsatino@libero.it" <marco.borsatino@libero.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing packages

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:22:02PM +0100, marco.borsatino@libero.it wrote:
>=20
> Hi, this are my questions.
>=20
> 1) I've installed many packages using pkg_add -rK [package] because I
> had the idea to use the same packages on a different PC. Packages are
> present in the directory i used as a repository, but only the
> requested packages, not the dependecies.

When creating packages with pkg_add, also add the -R option to create
packages for all dependencies.

> When I tried on another PC pkg_add [package] (I've copied all the
> requested packages on a USB HD) the program tells me that it cannot
> find dependencies. What is my mistake?

Not creating packages for all required dependencies, I think.

Probably the easiest way is to install all the ports you want on one
machine, and then copy /usr/local and /var/db/pkg to the other PC.
Provided of course that both machines use the same hardware
architecture! Use rsync(1) if you can make a network connection between
the machines. This can be very fast. Otherwise write the files to a USB
disk.

> 2) I've installed FreeBSD 7.1 on a 2.6Gh Celeron with 1Gb of RAM and a
> fast internet connection. I haven't installed KDE 3.5 because I wished
> to install KDE 4.
>=20
> When I used pkg_add -r kde4 the PC worked for almost 6 hours. During
> the installation I saw many error messages but, when finished, KDE was
> working.
>
> Is this the only possibility or is there a better way to install a big
> program with a lot of dependecies?

I prefer compiling ports from source myself, so I can use non-standard
options. But this might take a lot longer.

Roland
--=20

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--