Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:01:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        robalama@yahoo.com (N. R.R.)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symbolic link trouble

In a previous message, N. R.R. said:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to create a symbolic link to /var by following this
> technique:
>
> #mkdir /usr/var
> #cd /var
> #tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
> #rm -rf /var
>
> However, this is where it gets weird.  It says:
>
> rm: /var: Device Busy
>
> #ln -s /usr/var /var
>
> even after I rebooted I still couldnt remove the /var directory. And,
> of course, many things wouldnt start at bootup (cron stuff, sendmail
> stuff, etc., due to not finding files in the /var directory)
> It would give me some errors along the lines of:

There are files that are always open in /var.

If you can reboot the easiest thing to do would be
mv /var /var.old
ln -s /usr/var /var
reboot

Then come back and remove /var.old

If you can't reboot, you can do the mv and ln, then
stop and restart anything that has an open file
(which you can find with fstat).

--
   o       __o   <o>