Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:04:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arne Woerner <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make a pvr

--- Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it> wrote:
> I'd like to made a personal video recorder
> and I am guessing which hardware may I buy
> for the video recording.

If you use a fast box, you do not need a TV card that does
hardware MPEG encoding. I personally use two boxes (a very old
slow box (Pentium 166MHz P54C) for a hauppauge PVR 250 (that box
needs special care regarding the network traffic while the PVR
card is active; seems to be a problem with the old box... :-)) )
and my newer box (Athlon XP 2400+) for a pinnacle PCTV rave and a
Hauppauge WinCast/TV, so that I can record 3 channels at the same
time (1 in good quality 720x576 pixel
and two in less quality 448x336), but then I cannot watch TV. :-))

> I am not able to find the Hauppage 250/350
> easily.

I have found at ebay some PVR 250 and 350 cards  - but just german
sellers - some would ship to Italy. I could translate some
descriptions, if u want me to...

-Arne