Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:24:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Some questions

Hi everyone,

	We at the Chabot Observatory & Science Center will be setting up
a machine to run as a server using FreeBSD on a T1 connection but have a few
questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1) Since I have FreeBSD on my hard drive, how do I copy all the stuff
over to make a exact copy of my original drive after doing the
partitioning and the diskfs and mounting the drive.

2) How do I setup ethernet using a NE2000 compatible ethernet card?

3) We will be running our own nameserver as cosc.gov but how do I do the
DNS entries and when we register our domain name with other nameservers
besides our own, do we have to update the hostnames for the cosc.gov
domain on our nameserver only or on all of the nameservers that are doing
the DNS for our domain.  Also, does anyone know how we can register under
the gov or edu domain and like where we would get the applications?
Sorry for some non-FreeBSD specific questions but I'm sure some of you
FreeBSD users would know very much about this stuff.

4) We will be providing ppp/slip on our machine... Is there anyway to start
ppp/slip from the shell as the server or do we have to use something like
slirp in order to do this since all the ppp/slip ip's will be routed
through the FreeBSD machine.  Also, would I need to set the option
"GATEWAY" on in the kernel config?

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for you help!

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors