Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:17:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jhs@berklix.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg : no output on 1 of 2 7-stable boxes

Hello Julian,

I'm sorry this is a late reply, but I noticed your post
on the freebsd-stable list just now.

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 > One of 2 laptops running 7-stable shows nothing with dmesg, (other is OK).

Did you try "dmesg -a"?

The dmesg buffer is a circular buffer containing both
kernel output and console output.  However, "dmesg"
displays only the kernel output.  If there was lots of
console output, it filled all of the dmesg buffer,
so "dmesg" displays nothing (all of the kernel output
was overwritten by console output).  "dmesg -a" will
display everything, i.e. kernel + console output.

If "dmesg -a" doesn't print anything either, I'm afraid
I have no idea what might be wrong.  Well, you could try
"sysctl -b kern.msgbuf" which will retrieve the raw
contents of the dmesg buffer.

 >    - I tried loader.conf        kern.msgbuf=64000

I think it must be a multiple of the pages size, i,e,
4K = 4096 on FreeBSD/i386.  I usually set it to 65536
or 131072.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters