Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:33:16 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD licence vs GPL

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:31:07AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> To give you some examples of why this is so stupid, there have been a number
> of security vulnerabilities posted in the last couple of years that
> were repaired in publc BSD code within a day of release of knowledge
> of the vulnerability, yet commercial software vendors (who purported to
> be using Real Live BSD networking code) took weeks to issue patches.
> Well I can tell you, this is a recipie for getting your commercial software
> ejected from any self-respecting ISP.

Worse; I have the nasty suspicion that a lot of them NEVER get fixed,
and lurk around forever letting people who realise this fact take
advantage of them.  So there's a definite advantage to staying close
the BSD community, even though the license doesn't require them to.

Kris

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--