Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 00:51:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > done... the full url is ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming/fdformat.zip the
> > program to run to read the disks is fdread.exe... and the program to
> > format is fdformat.exe... also...  it has a nice ability to interleve
> > sectors...  this can dramaticly improve read times...  esspessially when
> > you format a 3-1/2HD floppy to 1.2meg (to diskcopy a 5-1/4HD)...  I have
> > no problems mounting the disk with freebsd with the command "mount_msdos
> > /dev/fd0.1720 /mnt"...
>
> I don't know why you need to interleave a 3.5in floppy when formatting
> it to 15 sectors/track, simply put less sectors on it and increase the
> inter-sector gap (GAP3).  All this aside, there's nothing in your
> program you could not have done with FreeBSD's fdformat program, too.
> (At least, not from the description you gave above.)

well... I haven't ever used freebsd's fdformat program...  and also...  I
came across these set of programs before I even thought of installing a
unix... so I am comfortable with the program... also... I don't have a
floppy drive on my unix machine... I only put one on when I need on...
TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)