Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:30:25 -0800
From:      "Todd Mortensen" <tmortensen@skylink.net>
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <support@servertech.com>
Subject:   java can't find the classes.

I have been beating my head against the wall with this one.   I have
installed the jdk from the ports collection of a 2.2.8-stable machine.
Whenever I try to run any java apps it complains about not being able to
find a class file of some type.  I have found all the ways of telling it the
location of the classes.zip file with no luck at all.  Here is a shot of
what I have set.

bash-2.02$ which java
/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/bin/java
bash-2.02$ echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/lib/classes.zip
bash-2.02$ cat start
#!/bin/sh
java -classpath \
/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/lib/classes.zip:/usr/home/power/server_classes \
STServer 10000 9004
bash-2.02$ ./start
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread

I have read that you shouldn't need the $CLASSPATH enviroment set but that
still give the same result.

Do I need to unpack the classes.zip file under FreeBSD?

Thanks for any feedback.