Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 16:22:08 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk timeout idea

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 12:36:41PM -0700, Michael Haro wrote:
> What about having bsd.port.mk fetch a version file from the freebsd
> website and compare the versions reported.  Maybe fetch/update this file
> every time a make fetch is done because I assume that when a make fetch
> is done that the user has access to the Internet.

Ouch!  Single points of failure^Wpresence are almost always a bad idea.

Perhaps every time the INDEX is regenerated, we stamp a date somewhere,
say Mk/port.timestamp -- don't put it in bsd.port.mk or an existing
file so we don't get history spammage.

It should then be a SMOP to kick out a warning message if your
timestamp is <N> months behind, or outright failure if it's <N+M>
months behind, kind of like the way in which some time-based
software licenses work.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.