Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2018 19:13:04 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more fallout from removal of lint

Mark Heily mark at heily.com wrote on
Thu Jan 4 14:06:18 UTC 2018 :

> the build system for CURRENT can be changed in
> ways that make it incompatible with building STABLE. This is normal =
and
> expected behavior for a development branch. It has never been a =
*supported*
> option to mix and match source code from different branches on a =
single
> host.

If I understand right, at the transition from
stable/11 to release/12.0 and stable/12,
stable/11 is supposed to be able to build 12
as part of a source based upgrade. (Normally
the most recent release/11.? should be able
to as well? The oldest supported release/11.?
as well?)

So at certain times one direction of mixing
seems to be supported for specific versions
in order to allow progressing forward.

That does not mean that the other direction
is supported.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM, O. Hartmann <ohartmann at walstatt.org> =
wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:33:08 -0500
> Shawn Webb <shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 05:14:00PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
> > > Since lint was removed from 12.0-CURRENT, it is not possible to =
build
> > > 11.1-STABLE on a 12.0-CURRENT host

It does seem to me that having a head/ based
system set up to do the stable/?? builds is
backwards generally under the normal principles
of operation. The other direction seems to be
the general intent.

Even having stable/11 try to build, say,
stable/10 would seem to be backwards on
the general principles if I've understood
right. head/ is not actually essential to
the issue.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net