Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:21:29 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        German <gentgerman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X won't start

Probably best to start at the beginning. What are you trying to accomplish?
Is it build a desktop or run an x-app on a server? I ask as many people get
confused over the relationship between an X server and client.

If its a desktop then yes you will need to do a startx of some sort on the
machine in question. If its run an x app on a remote server then you
shouldn't be doing a startx at all on the server, as the application you
are trying to start is the x client and the server runs on your desktop.