Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:34:14 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.kern.mk src/sys/alpha/conf Makefile.alpha

In message <199812210045.QAA47965@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> > > compile
> > > 	i386			not convinced of the requirement for
> > > 		...		arch subdirs here.
> > > 	alpha
> > > 	modules
> >
> > Not convinced of the requirement for sys/compile.  For a fully
> > functional build system, architecture is only one of the relevant
> > axes, the others being the options used.
>
> Sure; I tend to think that the only meaningful, manageable uniqifer is
> the kernel ident anyway, so just "a scratch area" would suit me.

I'd like to see the ability to build multiple architetures from the
same set of option files in a sane way.  The current system of using
compile/GENERIC won't let me build a i386 and an alpha kernel at the
same time.  I can build a GENERIC and a FOOBAR at the same time, and
that too is very useful.

So long as we don't break the include file interface for well known
things (eg tcp, sys/foo.h, machine/bar.h, etc), then I don't care a
whole lot where things live.

How does this reorg jive with the efforts of the new-bus group?  From
the looks of things, the new-bus group is gutting the config layer of
kernel and redoing it in a more dynamic manner.  I would think that
having a source tree layout that helps this would be a big win.

On a religious note, I find arch/blah to be useful.  Do an ls on
NetBSD's arch directory and then imagine all those directories
everywhere in the tree one needs architeture specific stuff.  You have
src/sys, src/lib/libc, and likely several others.  As the number of
architetures grow, things tend to get out of hand in a hurry.  Don't
know about bus/{isa,eisa,pcmcia,pccard,pci,tc,sbus,vme,smb,i2c},
however, but it seems like there are enough busses to make that worth
while, even on the announced FreeBSD ports: alpha, i386 and sparc.
When one adds the other architetures that have been talked about:
mips, m68k, ppc even more buses will come into they fray.

Finally, I think that Eivind is going to need to have a building
source tree like the CAM folks did before this goes into the tree so
that people can take a look at it and try various things with it to
see what all breaks and what the designers hadn't anticipated.

Warner