Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:06:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, maxx@mobistarmail.be, jcoombs@gwi.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 on old SMP server?

Joshua Coombs wrote:
 > MaXX wrote:
 > > I have an old netfinity 7000 (Quad PIII 500, 1Gb RAM) running 6.2
 > > at the moment. I was wondering if it will take benefit of all the
 > > SMP improvement of 7 or is it too old? It runs a few postgresql
 > > databases, peak loads in the 2 to 4 range.

It's not too old, and I would recommend that you give 7.0
a try.  Don't forget to enable the ULE scheduler.

I've got a dual Celeron-466 with 448 MB RAM, and it's
certainly not too old, either.  (OK, Celerons aren't the
best processor to build an SMP system, but it does work
nicely for me.  And it was dead cheap for an SMP system
at the time when I built it, about 10 years ago.)

 > My hacked up 386 showed gains going from 6.2 to 7, the big win that I've
 > noticed is scp throughput, I can sustain 40 to 45kbps where in the past
 > the box walled at around 30kbps.  Apache seems to have less latency
 > responding to gets also.  I'm just running a 7b3 kernel at the moment,
 > I'm going to have to repartition with a lot more swap space to be able
 > to build a 7 world (When did the ram use for a buildworld skyrocket?!)
 > but even with this setup, 7 + ULE is a win for me.

Are you saying you run FreeBSD 7 on an 80386(SX/DX) machine?
How exactly did you hack it?  As far as I know, support for
80386 processors was removed from FreeBSD a while ago.

Best regards
   Oliver