Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:26:59 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
Cc:        Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up a CVSup repository

If all of your servers are identical, you can certainly do the NFS
mount method described below.  That's absolutely preferable for *most*
people.  If you need different make options on the various machines,
though, that's not that useful.  You can build multiple worlds with
different make options, but that may be more trouble than building
locally.

In some environments, you cannot use NFS mounts across the firewalls
between application tiers.  A central cvsup server is quite useful
there.  Also, if you're in an enterprise setting, each version of the
code must separately pass QA.  If you cvsup each server separately,
this is bad.

(I've been in a situation before where one server crashed, while all
the others didn't.  The problem turned out to be slight differences in
the version of -stable I was running at the time.  Tracking that down
was utter hell.  That's my motivation for using a central cvsup
server.  :-)

==ml

Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons