Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: ports/12463: Update: Fvwm2 to 2.2.2

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 02:09:22PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> >
> > >  The "A " seems to add very little to the comment.
> >
> > 	It adds nothing to the comment, but it does add a great deal of
> > readability for just two characters. My vote == bad idea.

	s/comment/content/

> Are you reading it in context, or are you just reading the comment?

	I've done several ports myself, so I feel qualified to judge it in
context. In particular, the COMMENT is most important (IMO) in the
sysinstall case, where they are viewed one at a time. I submit that you
are looking at them en masse, which a typical user would never do.

> Try having a look through one of the categories at
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/.  It's not so bad now because a lot of
> the ports don't include a preceeding "A" or similar, but notice that
> reading them quickly becomes annoying (not at first, though).

	I didn't see anything wrong with the examples you quoted.

> And notice that it's possible to add "A " to a _lot_ of the comments
> that currently don't have it, using the same argument that use just
> used.

	*Nod* There are a lot of things that you could add or subtract if
you really wanted to. This is why I believe that within reasonable limts
you should leave it up to the port author. I believe that "start with a
cap" is a reasonable limit, and "no period at the end" probably is too. I
don't believe that legislating the use of articles at the beginning of the
sentence adds utility in comparison to the pita factor of trying to
enforce it.

> But, read the comments in the games category.  Notice that it's
> possible to add "A " in front of virtually every comment.  Every
> comment.  I'm not convinced that doing so would increase the
> readability one bit.
>
> The ideal pkg/COMMENT, I think, is a type of verb phrase, in the
> imperitive.
>
>   [462]luna-1.9
>           Display her phase

	This comment is inadequate on several levels. A better example
would be, "Display the current phase of the moon".

>    [585]unclutter-8
>           Remove idle cursor image from screen

	Should be, "Removes an idle cursor image from the screen".

>    [1396]wget-1.5.3
>           Retrieve files from the 'net via HTTP and FTP

	Should be, "Retrieves . . ."

	etc. The examples you quote are improper uses of the imperative
mood.

> As an example of a verb phrase using the wrong tense,
>
>    [1290]tcplist-2.2
>           Lists tcp connections to/from the local machine (+username on
>           both sides)

	Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean here.

> I'm willing to accept that I'm just unusual with respect to really
> detesting all the "A "s, but you've got to work a little harder than
> that to convince me.

	My main point is that having the A/An there DOES improve the
readability, at a very low cost. I don't see a compelling reason to change
them one way (all A's) or the other (no A's). We have more than enough
examples of crusty, uniform techno-speak in the system now, there is no
reason not to allow a little creativity/variety in an area that has no
signficant impact one way or the other.

> I'm also considering that maybe I should've made an exception and not
> capitalized "perl5" when it appears at the start of a comment.

	My understanding from the Perl FAQ is that the proper punctuation
should be, "Perl 5".

Regards,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter