Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Feedback on CGI programs wanted.

I just imported a port of w3-msql, a CGI program that allows access to
mSQL databases from HTML pages.  The program itself works fine, but the
biggest problem was deciding where to place the binary.

Amidst the ongoing discussion in -ports about where apache should be
installed, I couldn't (and didn't want to) settle on a static directory.
I settled on putting it in /usr/local/bin, and writing a quick manpage
that tells people they have to copy or link it into their server's CGI
directory before using it.  This information is also in the pkg/DESCR
file, and in files/post-install-notes, which is displayed at the end of
the install so long as BATCH isn't defined.

I'd like to feedback on this approach, as I have a few more CGI ports of
increasing complexity that I want to bring in, and I'd like to know that I
haven't evoked "The wrath of Satoshi" on this one (or is that the wrath of
Jordan ?) 8-)

This port is just two files, the binary and it's man page, so if a few
people could SUP it, play dumb, and try to get it working, I'd appreciate
hearing how intuitive the install is.  If anyone needs a dummy HTML page
(or even access to a dummy database) to test it, let me know.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |