Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:06:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Custom init(8) (and some ideas)

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:
> > Also, (unpacked) .text section of gzipped binaries is not shared among
> > several copies of same program, like in case of normal program. If I
> > understand correctly, this is a big problem for Andrzej, since all his
> > program is crunched together.
>
> Yes, it hurts :-). That's why I conducted several tests with making a
> dynamic crunch, to save at least on libraries. But in reality it proved to
> take more space in case of minimal system ....

Is all this moot if you don't gzip the binaries (or single, crunched
binary), but instead install the binaries in an MFS in the kernel,
then kzip the kernel?  You get the benefit of compression, but the
uncompress is done once, at boot time, so the text section can still
be mmap-ed at exec time.  Or does it not work this way?

On a related note, I did not understand the distinction between
mmap-ing the text section and "execute-in-place."  If someone could
expand briefly, I'd appreciate it.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.