Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:32:52 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        "amd64 @ FreeBSD" <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile Fail

On 12/16/12 17:43, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> I started my kernel compile with my custom settings[0] but it's failing
> at one point[1] and while I think I know why, I'd like a second opinion.
>
> [0]: http://codepad.org/EZTCVMZC
> [1]: http://codepad.org/58GFHGnE

First, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me get my kernel building
and answered all my questions. I have really appreciated the help.

I compiled my custom kernel (or so I thought), but 'uname -a' shows it
compiled with a generic kernel?

FreeBSD alex-laptop 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Dec 24
20:06:49 CST 2012     root@alex-laptop:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Whereas in the past, it showed my custom kernel config in the above
path. I was running i386 before, does that make a difference? Or did I
miss a step somewhere?

when building and installing, I issued:

'make buildkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'
'make installkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'

Based on the instructions found in the handbook.

alex@alex-laptop#> cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
alex@alex-laptop#> ls
ALEX-LAPTOP     DEFAULTS        GENERIC         GENERIC.hints   Makefile
        NOTES           XENHVM

I'm not quite sure what to expect now.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org