Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:27:42 +1000
From:      "Morgan Reed" <morgan.s.reed@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PXE booting issues

I'm currently working on an embedded project which will be built
around a BSD (I'm not sure which yet), currently I have an image up
and running DragonFly and I'm currently attempting to do the same with
FreeBSD for comparison.

I'm more or less following the miniBSD tutorials (updating the various
file lists and such as I go).

The system is being built around 6.2-STABLE but I'm having some issues
getting it to PXE boot.

On my FreeBSD host I've enabled TFTP, exported the rootfs for the
system via NFS, built and installed isc-dhcpd and configured it with
the extra options for PXE booting.

The client currently gets its IP address from the server successfully,
retrieves and loads pxeboot but when it comes to launch the kernel it
eventually throws an NFS timeout.

I know the export is working because I used NFS to pull the rootfs
over to my DragonFly boot host to see what the result was when I
booted the same image from a known working boot host (it worked
correctly until it hit a problem in the image I will detail in a
separate message).

I did attempt to rebuild the pxeboot loader, following the standard
instructions;
set LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES in /etc/make.conf
cd /usr/src/sys/boot
make clean && make depend && make

It appears to be successful (and the output would support this) but
the i386/pxeldr/pxeboot and i386/loader/loader files do not exist, my
only guess is that I've not set a make variable I should have, the
most confusing part is that the dd command which is the final step in
generating pxeboot appears in the output and appears to be successful;
==============
dd if=pxeboot.tmp of=pxeboot obs=2k conv=osync
425+0 records in
107+0 records out
The discrepancy in the records in and the records out is concerning
but I would expect the file to exist regardless, I'm currently using
the default /boot/pxeboot.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Morgan