Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 06:33:41 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting slices for mail servers

* Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net> [2002-09-01 02:36]:
> 	I'm curious of what would be a good recommended partition/slice
> 	setup for a machine being set aside as a dedicated mail server.  I've done
> it a variety of ways depending on what other tasks it might have to preform
> besides just being a mail server.  However, this time around I want to
> setup one who's sole purpose will be mail.  No other services will run on
> it.  Just qmail.

What scale are we talking here?
personal (~ 100 message/day),
small biz (~ 1000 messages/day)
medium biz (~ 10,000 messages/day)
large corporation (~ 500,000 messages/day)
MSO (~ 1,000,000 messages/day)
Galactic Gateway (~1.5x10E23 messages/day :-)

??

> 	I'm working with an 80g drive just so you can use that as reference.
> 	Any suggestions on slice layouts will be very welcome.  I know you need to
> give preference to /var/mail and the spool directories, but how much and in
> what ways would be another good question to answer.  Thanks in advance for
> the answers.

For medium and up, I'd recommend at least two disks:  and place your log
and spool directories on separate disks.  It's  a toss up on which
should be your root disk, but I'd put log and root together instead of
spool and root.   Of course, if you have three disks, separate root from
log and spool altogether.

Sizes will have to be determined on calculations for how many messages per
day.  I read a survey not long ago that suggested that the "average" message
size has now grown to around 40K bytes.  Seemed like a lot, but I guess with
embedded graphics, multi-character sets and attachments, you can easily reach that
figure over time.

For large+ you will need multiple servers, with an industrial strength RAID
solution on all of them.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Galactic Gateways :-).

HTH,
jpb
===