Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 23:28:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
To:        Ryan Younce <ryany@pobox.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current 'make world' warnings cleanup

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Ryan Younce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not 100% certain if this is the right place to be asking this, but:
> I noticed on the FreeBSD projects page that running a make world with extra
> warnings enabled, and then clean up the warnings, although not a high priority
> project, would be a good thing to do.

Very good.  I've seen this myself, and considered a go at it.  Like you
I'm not sure how to procede.  I know how to program, but I don't know how
to extend that to FreeBSD.

> Well, seeing as how my count of all instances of ' warning: ' within my log
> of my most recent make world totals to about 85,000 lines, I figure this
> might be as good a place as any to burn my weekend/weeknight time.

Try compiling a LINT kernel with -Wall.   The goal is LINT compiles
without warnings.  (note, this may be impossiable.  LINT isn't supposed to
be bootable, and the warning might catch a conflict)

> Is there a coordinator for this?  As this is my first time sending anything
> to any of the mailing lists, let alone contributing, I figure lowering the
> above number would be as good a place to start as any.  What is the best way
> to go about cleaning up the warnings out of code?  Fixing up a diff and
> submitting it via send-pr(1) like normal?  Or would this be overkill in this
> situation?

What I want to know is how devolpers configure their src tree.  What I
don't want to do is
cd /usr/src/something
ed bad_file.c
 Get about half done, and then go to bed  overnight the following happens:
cvsup (from cron)
  overwrites bad_file.c with some change not related to what I'm doing,
causing a loss of work.

And on the related note I need to get the proper diff's when I'm ready to
submit a patch.

I have used RCS before, and I know CVS can put RCS files on my system.
The question is can Make read RCS files, and extract the right version,
and can cvs do the right thing?  I obviously would like to test a kernel
before I submit a patch, and once in a while I like to get the latest
sources.

So how do devolpers setup their build enviroment?  (understanding this is
a personal thing)

--
      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com