Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2011 06:56:29 +0200
From:      Michael Cardell Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dvorak keyboard (Spanish)

Alvaro Castillo <gobledb@gmail.com>, 2011-08-25 02:25 (+0200):

> Can add Dvorak spanish variant for syscons?
>
> http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Teclado_Dvorak_Español.png

Copy

  /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.dvorak.kbd

to your home directory.

Start the editor of your choice and edit the file to add the keys you
need for a Spanish keyboard.

If you're uncertain what keycode a certain key generates, use the
misc/kbdscan port [1] to find out.

When you're done editing load the new keyboard with

  kbdcontrol -l your-spanish-dvorak.kbd

When you're satisfied you can copy the file to

  /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/

and edit rc.conf and add

  keymap="your-spanish-dvorak"

If everything works out right you can think about using send-pr(1) or

  http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

and send the new keyboard layout to be included in FreeBSD.

[1] I wrote the program but I didn't submit it to ports. I would have
gone for the sysutils category, I think.

Happy hacking,
MC.

--
http://hack.org/mc/
Use plain text e-mail, please. HTML messages silently dropped.