Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:58:15 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: top problem with 4.1-STABLE

Hello Sean,

> The "nlist failed" error usually implies that you didn't use
> /boot/loader to boot the machine or your boot blocks are out
> of whack with the system.

That's correct. After the last reboot (which I did in order to get the
newly attached serial console active using /boot.config containing the
-P option), the system hang during 1st bootstrap level (atleast I
think so, as it wanted me to type the location of the kernel which I
did through the serial console).

Unfortunately, someone took that console away from that machine
(I just hope I'll never get to know who it was or bad things will
happen to that person ;-) and I don't want to reboot it through ssh
risking that problem occurs again (and not being able to fix it from
here).

I'd really like to know why the system wanted me to say which
kernel it should use. I've got a idea about it but I'm not sure if
the following is a reasonable explanation: two boxes were connected
through nullmodem from com1 to com1 and both had serial console
active (bad idea for several reasons but at that time, it was the only
possibility to attempt what we needed as one box had only one free COM port).
I think that the running one of the boxes printed a syslog message
to the console in just the moment in which FreeBSD on the other box
was waiting for the user to either let it boot or specify some options
and thus stopping the boot process to chose another kernel.

First possibility for me to be right at the console is Monday...

Best regards,
 Gabriel