Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:06:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        graphix@iastate.edu, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unused functions

> In most object formats, reference information is kept on a per-object
> basis (ie. per .o file).  Keeping this sort of information on any
> smaller granularity would lead to an insane increase in the complexity
> and corresponding performance reduction of the link phase.

...and corresponding reduction in time for *re*linking, and reduction
in size of the resulting binaries.

Basically, it's a compiler-write-benchmark-less-work-to-write thing.

> This is why an experienced programmer will group only related items in
> a given object.

Yes.  This is why.

> It allows the programmer and the C scoping rules to
> work together to determine what should be associated and what need not.

Instead of the compiler merely calculating hamiltonian cycles in
the dependency graph to do dead code elimination.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.