Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 23:08:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        rheller@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/ports/editors.html

As Chuck Robey wrote:

> > Emacs takes a long time (about 10 seconds) to start up on my computer.  I'm
> > running a 486/66 with 32M of ram.  What would cause it to start so slow?
>
> emacs is a huge program, that needs dynamic loading support from about a
> dozen different shared libraries.  That's what takes so long, all that
> relinking.  Try Xemacs, it takes even longer to start up!

Nevertheless, 10 seconds is unusual long.  Even my 486/33 (also 32 MB
RAM) did get FSF Emacs w/ X11 up within 2 or 3 seconds.  Perhaps
you've got a slow disk subsystem?  Cache(s) disabled?

OTOH, once Emacs is running, there's no need to start it again over
and over.  Normally, my Emacs runs all the time while i'm logged in
(often 14 days or more without logging out).  Simply keep it in a
separate virtual desktop (under X11), or on a separate virtual
terminal.  Use `emacsclient' for your frequent editing requirements
like mail or news.  Thus, you won't even notice if it's slow in
starting up.

--
cheers, J"org