Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:21:47 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: psm0 out of sync

>Eric P Liedtke writes:
> > I am currently having a problem with my mice losing sync
> > when using a belkin KVM switch. Any time I switch over and
> > back the mouse loses sync. Is there any way I can regain
> > sync without rebooting. I've tried killing and restarting
> > moused but of course that didn't help cuz moused isn't out of
> > sync the actual device is. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Set bit 0x8000 in the psm device by modifying your loader.conf:
>
>psm_flags=0x8000
>
>This will force a mouse reset when switching with the kvm box.

Not quite "reset". It disables and then re-enable the mouse operation.

>This should be installed as the default mode and not called a "hack"
>since it is the most logical thing to do.  Unfortunately, the maintainer
>of psm.c has some sort of reservations about making this behavior the
>default.  My wireless mouse requires this setting with no intervening
>switch box.  I never see multiple instances of reset behavior, so I
>don't know why this completely logical code path is relegated to the
>euphemism of "hack" and not made default.

This flag has remained an option in -STABLE, because it doesn't always
work.  It works in some cases, but there are cases it just doesn't.
When it doesn't, it will produce a stream of disable/enable sequence
repeatedly, and that's too bad.

-CURRENT now has much better recovery code for the "out of sync"
error.  That will be merged to -STABLE in the next few weeks, after
initial glitches are sorted out in -CURRENT.

But, if you cannot wait,  you can find the patch for -STABLE at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~yokota/psm-out-of-sync-STABLE.diff

Apply the patch to /sys/isa/psm.c and see how it performs
in you system.

Kazu