Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:56:21 +0200
From:      erakupa@kk.etx.ericsson.se (ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   poll() for ethernet devices

Hello all,

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a PPro 200 MHz PC. I have created a
loadable kernel module which will schedule IP-packets on user-defineable
interfaces and priorities. But it doesn't work correctly now :-(

What I want to do in the general ether_output() is basically this:

	prioritize packets
	check if there's more packets to read       <-----------+
	if yes                                                  |
		read the next packet and insert into queue      |
	else                                                    |
		start output                                    |

How can I check if there are packets to read in some/all interfaces and
force the kernel to perform the read (and eventually write, which
calls ether_output)?

Thanks in advance,

Martti