Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2020 08:53:06 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dealing with DoS - practical tips & tools?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:56 AM Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at> wrote:

yesterday I saw another mild DoS attack on our network. Typically we get
> UDP floods and similar generic attacks, and also websocket-specific "laye=
> 7" attacks from random IPs.
>
> Typically a few applications go offline when sockets are exhausted, or
> when their rate limiting kicks in hard.
>
> Currently my setup is naive:
>
> - pf with manual blocklists as required
> - haproxy for layer7 blocklists
> - off-server logs indexed in graylog
>
> Which is pretty limited in both understanding what's happening *right
> now*, and also doing anything other than manual reaction to issues, *afte=
r*
> they impact users.

> Are there any FreeBSD tools that people could recommend? Any tunables tha=
> help with resilience?

I can't help with pf, since I use ipfw, but... I use gRED / RED courtesy of
Dummynet.  Depending on where you apply the pipe, it helps a great deal
with things like DDoD where blocking IP addresses doesn't reduce the
traffic a whit.

--=20

"Well," Brahm=C4=81 said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is =
no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah=C4=81bh=C4=81rata