Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 01:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Samuel Tardieu <sam@ada.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/17799: JGNAT port

The following reply was made to PR ports/17799; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@ada.eu.org>
To: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc: sam@ada.eu.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:13:01 +0200

 On  4/04, Will Andrews wrote:

 | Please, when you submit new ports in the future, use this method:
 [...]

 Ok.

 | > X# $FreeBSD: ports/lang/yorick/Makefile,v 1.5 1999/11/26 18:34:42 steve Exp $
 |
 | Don't do this. Do:
 |
 | # $FreeBSD$

 While I see why it matters when submitting diffs, I don't see the problem for
 an initial submission as the FreeBSD will be replaced when one does the initial
 checkin.

 | > XBUILD_DEPENDS=	adagcc:${PORTSDIR}/lang/gnat ${LOCALBASE}/jdk1.1.8/bin/javac:${PORTSDIR}/java/jdk
 |
 | This should be:
 |
 | BUILD_DEPENDS=  ${LOCALBASE}/bin/adagcc:${PORTSDIR}/lang/gnat \
 |                 ${LOCALBASE}/bin/javac:${PORTSDIR}/java/jdk
 |
 | Or pick another binary installed by the jdk port that isn't put into the
 | above directory (because you'll have to change the BUILD_DEPENDS every time
 | the jdk port gets updated.

 Ok, I'll use the absolute PATH for adagcc. But I can't do that for the JDK:

 % pkg_info -L jdk-1.1.8 | grep -v /usr/local/jdk1.1.8
 Information for jdk-1.1.8:

 Files:
 [nothing]

 jdk1.1.8 does not install any file in /usr/local/bin. Java is
 platform-independant but highly version-dependant. Moreover, I will
 have to change the port each time the jdk gets updated, because of the
 incompatibilities.

 | If there is a WWW site for this program, please post it here.

 There is none.

 | > Xlib/jgnat/adainclude/a-nllefu.ads
 |
 | Er.. why is this being installed in a non-hier(7)-compatible directory?

 Where does one put platform-specific private files? I can't put them in
 libexec as they are not daemons or utilities. This is common practice to do
 this:

 % find /usr/local/lib/* -type d -prune -print
 /usr/local/lib/Tcldot
 /usr/local/lib/dejagnu
 /usr/local/lib/dip
 /usr/local/lib/erlang