Date:      21 Apr 2002 12:21:26 -0000
From:      atk2@arctic.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade (sort of) from 2.2.7 to 4.5 -- will there be problems?

I will be upgrading from 2.2.7 to 4.5. Well - upgrade isn't exactly the
right term --

I will do a fresh install of 4.5 then copy the 2.2.7 shared libraries
to /usr/old/libs and a couple of config files from /etc (ppp and such).

Question is should I expect some/any problems with old configs/binaries? I
know at some point they switched to elf but don't know if they broke/disabled
the old a.out format. Not sure if the new programs require new config files
(or new formats) et all..

Obviously (well maybe not obvious) I will recompile some programs when feasible
but I have a few old ones with no sources...

Thanks,