Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:05:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Zach Copley <snatcher@arlington.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upper limit values set too low?

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Zach Copley wrote:

> The other thing is that when I attempt to open a large mailbox with Pine,
> it crashes and dumps core--something that never happens on any of my other
> Unix machines. eg:
>
> Aug 21 04:41:19 kiki /kernel: pid 1955 (pine), uid 1002: exited on signal6
> (core dumped)
>
> What I'm wondering is if maybe there are some other upper limit values for
> kernel, etc., that may be set too low by default.  Could that be the cause
> of these problems also?  If so, what are these values, and what can I use
> to determine/adjust these values?  If not, does anyone have any idea what
> could be causing these problems?

Since you're on 2.2.2, you're affected by the login classes in
/etc/login.conf.  You may be running into those limits.  See the man page
for login.conf(5) to adjust them.

There are some kernel limits that are getting hit as well on large
servers.  It may be time to petition -hackers to bump those numbers up.

> The machine is:  P120, 32-megs RAM, Adaptec 7880 SCSI/1-gig Quantum with
> Kernel Developer install of 2.2.2R with all of the defaults, and then I
> recompiled the kernel as outlined in the Handbook.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo