Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:31:55 -0800
From:      <matthew@phoronix.com>
To:        "Arnaud Lacombe" <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable Mailing List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>, Michael Larabel <Michael@phoronix.com>, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

   Thanks for the comment Arnaud.   For comparative benchmarking on =
   [1]Phoronix.com, Michael inva= riable leaves it in the default
   configuration 'in the way the developers or= vendor wanted it for
   production'.  This is by rule.
   However, i= nvariable the community or vendor for platforms that post
   poor scores on be= nchmark cry foul about using the default config.
   'it should be tuned,= no-one deploys an untuned system' or 'the system
   is configured for a diffe= rent workload'.
   The response from us to this comes in two forms. &nb= sp;
   1) If it is the wrong workload for the platform, do a public pos= t
   explaining and analysing the results.  Highlighting the rationale fo=
   r the concious reduction in performance (ie: journaling filesystems
   with ba= rriers suffer in some write benchmarks for the sake of
   filesystem integrity= =2E
   2) If tuning can have a material impact on the results, post a t=
   uning guide with step by step and rationale.  Ie: educate the
   communit= y and users.
   Michael and I have had many discussions with vendors an= d communities
   on this.  In almost all cases, the vendor has either cha= nged the
   default configuration or accepted the results as valid.
   As = a service to the community or vendor that publishes the tuning
   guide, Micha= el is more than willing to redo a tuned vs untuned
   comparison.  To dat= e, the communities have never taken us up on that
   offer.  In part, thi= s affects [2]Phoronix.com's perception in the
   public, but that is more of a result of a one sided d= iscussion by a
   party external to a particular community (with a healthy tou= ch of
   journalisticly pumped compare & contrast).  For the FreeBSD =
   community, who else outside of the FreeBSD community actually runs
   public c= omparisons of FreeBSD against anything?
   Matthew

   -- Sent from my HP Pre3

   On Jan 4, 2012 1:58 PM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com&g= t;
   wrote:
   Hi,=0D
   =0D
   On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM,= <matthew@phoronix.com> wrote:=0D
   > Thanks.=0D
   >=0D
   &= gt; My request for the person documenting the tunings also runs the
   benchma= rk to=0D
   > ensure expected behaviour.=0D
   >=0D
   Why should you= have to tune anything ? Did you tune the Oracle
   Server=0D
   install ? If = not, you should not have to tune the FreeBSD
   install,=0D
   that wouldn't b= e fair. If you tune FreeBSD, you should tune the
   Oracle=0D
   Server instal= l too. It is pretty easy to win at least 30% in=0D
   performance for certa= in workload by choosing the right kernel=0D
   configuration.=0D
   =0D
   = - Arnaud=0D
   =0D