Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:20:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Neswold <neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov>
To:        "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp Connects, But...Nothing

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Christopher J. Booth wrote:

> Yesterday I couldn't get iijppp to dial up at all. I couldn't see anything
> amiss in the dial script, so this morning I scrubbed /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and
> replaced it with a script from /et/ppp/ppp.conf/sample. (I still don't see
> what was wrong....O, well....)
>
> Now ijjppp dials out, negotiates with the ISP, and connects. netstat -rn tells
> me that I have lo0 and tun0 running. I cannot communicate with anything,
> though. Even ping receives nothing (100% packet loss). Lynx, gopher, xgopher,
> ftp, none can connect out. After a while I hear the tiny click of the modem
> resetting and netstat -rn only shows lo0.
>
> Where might this problem lie?

Do you have 'disable lqr' and 'deny lqr' in your config? I found that when
lqr is enabled, there is a chance of losing the connection. Maybe your ISP
slightly changed the login procedure and now you need 'set openmode active'
added to the config...

Really, you'll probably have to debug this yourself. Here are a few things
you could do to identify the problem:

  1) Put 'set debug phase' in your PPP configuration. This will add helpful
     messages to the ppp.log file. There are other options to the 'debug'
     setting, as well. Read the man pages if your interested in the other
     options.

  2) Use 'netstat -b -I tun0 -w 1'. This command will, once a second, show
     the amount of traffic going through the tun0 device.

  3) Use 'tcpdump -i tun0' to see what type of traffic is going through the
     interface.

#1 will probably be the most useful in this case, but I've used #2 and #3 to
diagnose ppp problems as well.

Good luck!

  Rich

  Richard Neswold, Accelerator Div./Controls Dept |     neswold@fnal.gov
  Fermilab, PO Box 500, MS 347, Batavia, IL 60510 | voice (630) 840-3454
  'finger neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov' for PGP key     |   fax (630) 840-3093